11 Interesting Facts about Pennsylvania
As NJM expands our services into the great state of Pennsylvania, it seems like there is no better time than now to brush up on some interesting facts about the state. Rich with history, Pennsylvania is definitely one of the most fascinating states in the US. Here are some quick facts you might have learned in school and some you might not have!
- The first baseball stadium was built in Pittsburgh in 1909.
- The Chocolate Capital of the US is Hershey, Pa.
- The first computer existed in Philadelphia in 1946.
- The first piano in America was built in Philadelphia in 1775.
- The Declaration of Independence was signed in Philadelphia in 1776.
- The Philadelphia Zoo was the first public zoo in the United States.
- Philadelphia was once the capital city of the United States.
- The first daily newspaper was published in Philadelphia in 1784.
- For one season in 1943, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers merged to form the "Steagles" due to the loss of many players during WWII.
- The State College Area High School was the first school in the country to teach drivers education in 1958.
- Punxsutawney, Pa is home to the world famous, weather forecasting groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil.
Hey, if you're ever on Jeopardy and one of these questions come up, you know who to thank. If you know some interesting facts about Pennsylvania that we may have missed, share the wealth, and let us know what you know down below!