Space Heater Safety Tips
Winter is upon us! While it's important to stay warm, it's even more important to stay safe. Did you know that space heaters are responsible for 40% of home heating fires and 84% of related deaths? Here are some tips from Honeywell to keep you safe while using a space heater:
- Look for a space heater with safety features such as a timer, tip-over sensor and temperature safety control to prevent overheating.
- Don't plug your space heater into an extension cord or power strip.
- Do not place anything, including carpeting, over the cord.
- All combustible materials must be kept at least three feet away from your heater. This includes clothing, carpet, bedding, curtains, furniture, pillows, etc.
- Space heaters should never be used to warm other objects such as bedding or clothing.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it of when you're leaving a room or going to sleep, and don't let pets or children get too close to it.
- Always unplug and safely store the heater when it's not in use, and inspect the cord before each use to check for fraying or damage.
- Before use, be sure to read the manual and warning labels specific to your space heater.
We hope these tips will help ensure you have the safest warmth in your home or workplace this winter!