Resources for Hobbyists in Delaware County, Pennsylvania
No matter what your hobby, Delco has a group for you.
- The Performing Arts Complex of Delaware County (PAC of Delco) provides a space for performing arts organizations to rehearse in an affordable venue. The space hosts orchestras, social dancing groups, choral and poetry groups, dance schools, private music teachers and The Creative Living Room, an organization that offers art, dance, music, language, yoga and martial arts classes for children and adults.
- Barnstormers Theater has hosted shows since 1909. It now draws directors, cast, crew and volunteers from all over the tristate area. They invite volunteers to help with maintenance, set design, ushering, stage crew and other functions in their productions. They also host open-call auditions for cast members.
- Colonial Playhouse has hosted professional and amateur stage productions in Aldan, PA, since 1940.
- Hedgerow Theater is a professional theatre ensemble with a residency learning program. Children and adults in Delaware County can register for classes and participate in fall, winter and spring musicals connected to their learning experiences.
- Media Theater offers adult and youth acting classes in addition to its rotation of Broadway and children’s shows. Audition for a show or go see one of the theater’s shows.
- Since 1907, Rose Valley Chorus and Orchestra have entertained Delaware County with musical and dramatic performances by natives of the region. Participate in shows by auditioning, or purchase tickets to see a show at their venue at Strath Haven Middle School in Wallingford, PA.
- If you like to sing, check out Delco Karaoke, a resource for karaoke venues in Delaware County.
- Lansdowne Folk Club is a group that promotes folk, acoustic, and blues music in Delaware County. The club features local, regional, national, and international acts at the “Twentieth Century Club” in Lansdowne, PA.
- Explore American history through the lens of Chadds Ford, PA, at the Christian C. Sanderson Museum.
- The Paper Mill House Museum is a restored mill worker’s home maintained by the Newtown Square Historical Society. The historical society hosts a monthly lecture series; annual Harvest Festival, Wassail Party and Historic Newtown Square Day events; and school tours. The museum features documents and photographs on Newtown’s history.
- Brandywine Battlefield Historic Site hosts driving tours tracing troop movements through the battlefield in the War of 1812.
- The Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation in Media, PA, preserves the “typical Pennsylvania farm” of 1760-1790, based on primary source documents by Joseph Pratt and Benjamin Hawley.
- The Grange Estate has stood in Havertown, PA, since 1682. Visitors can tour the rehabilitated mansion and gardens. The Grange Estate keeps bees and seeks the help of beekeepers for honey extraction periodically throughout the year. Professional photographers can also obtain a license to photograph clients at the estate. Volunteers can also help maintain the estate by gardening, hosting tours, helping with events or decorating for holidays.
Do you live in Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, or Pennsylvania?
Get your own personalized home, or renters quote today.
Exercise and Sports
- Linvilla Orchards is a 300-acre farm where families can participate in hayrides, pumpkin picking, fishing, indoor mini golf, train rides, pony rides and face painting. The Orchards also host Pick Your Own apples, peaches, pears and other fruits and vegetables, as well as a garden center.
- Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College hosts community gardening and volunteering programs. The Nature’s Narratives program is a book club for garden enthusiasts.
- Tyler Arboretum is a public garden in Media, PA, featuring heritage trees, historical buildings, 17 miles of hiking trails, tree houses, a Butterfly House and education programs for kids and adults. Photographers can use the arboretum as a backdrop for a fee. Visitors can also explore the arboretum’s plants and gardens.
- Delco Road Runners Club is a group dedicated to runners in Delaware County. The club sponsors weekly fun-runs in Delco, holds daily group runs, creates competitions and events and participates in local, regional and national races.
- Delaware Valley Bicycle Club is a group dedicating to bicycling in Delaware County and the surrounding region. The club hosts scheduled group rides, tours, beginner rides and mountain biking excursions.
- Talen Energy Stadium, located in Chester, PA, is the home of Major League Soccer’s Philadelphia Union and the premier destination for area soccer fans.
- Clayton Park in Concord and Bethel Townships feature a nine-hole public golf course.
- Springfield Country Club is an 18-hole private golf course. The Springfield Country Club Regional Complex also offers ice skating, swimming, dining, and banquet facilities.
- Paxon Hollow Country Club is an 18-hole public golf course in Marple Township. The course has golf leagues and junior golf programs.
- Nathaniel Newlin Grist Mill is a location where visitors can research the history of the grist mill and hike the trails surrounding the mill. Visitors also can use the pond and stream running through the park for recreational fishing.
- Ridley Creek State Park also features stocked trout streams, as well as hiking trails and volunteer opportunities for park maintenance.
- Delco Bird Club focuses on the needs of birds and bird owners through educational programing. The club meets monthly at the Media Community Center.
- Tyler Arboretum is an Important Bird Area under the Audubon Society and hosts a birding program. Birders can observe the over 195 bird species that nest in the arboretum as well as the bluebird house trail. Guided bird walks are held on Wednesdays.
Model Planes and Collector Cars
- Delaware County Radio Control Club is a group for fans of Radio Control Model Aviation and members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). The club uses a flying field in Swedesboro, NJ, to sponsor picnics, meet-ups and learning sessions for beginners.
- Delco Cruisers is a car club for collectors of antique and collectible cars, specifically hot rods, street rods, muscle cars, rat rods, customs, lead sleds, 50s and classics. You can also access them at Classic Delaware County.